Monday, 24 February 2014

Ham, Chorizo and Bean Broth


I can't quite believe I'm typing a blog post!  I haven't managed to publish a damn thing since November for a variety of reasons, mainly the endless list of illnesses that my 3 year old has contracted at nursery.  A list that includes the Norovirus (on more than one occasion), Conjunctivitis and Hand, Foot and Mouth which I had never even heard of before!  Naturally, these delights were passed around the family especially to little Sophie who is 9 months old.  Basically, I'm saying that I haven't slept for 3 months hence the lack of bloggery!

Anyway, hopefully between now and the next bout of pestilence I'll be able to resurrect this sadly neglected little blog.  Hope you haven't completely given up on me!

Here's a delicious and simple recipe which will keep you warm and give you the occasional glimpse of sunshine which will keep you going until the spring!

Ham, Chorizo and Bean Broth

I finally got around to cooking the other half of the ham joint (which had been in the freezer since Christmas) at the weekend and I was planning to make a Pea and Ham Soup.  However, when I left work today the sun was shining so brightly that I changed my mind to something which reflected both the sunshine and the never-ending search for warmth which is standard in the North East of England in February!  Hope you enjoy this one!

Ingredients (Serves 4)

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Red Onion, diced
1 Carrot, peeled and diced
1 Red Pepper, diced
100g Chorizo, skin removed and diced
150g Cooked Ham, diced
Pinch of Saffron
2 sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
2 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tin Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
Good splash of White Wine
650ml Stock (I used the stock from cooking the ham but veg or chicken would work as well)
Handful of Fresh Parsley, finely chopped

Method

1.  Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion and carrot with a pinch of salt.  Gently soften with lid on for around 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove lid and increase heat a little and fry until onions are beginning to caramelise.
2.  Add the red pepper and chorizo and fry until coloured and the chorizo has released its oil.
3.  Add the ham, saffron, rosemary, beans and paprika and stir so the paprika evenly colours the ingredients.
4.  Add the wine and bring to the boil to cook out the alcohol.
5.  Add the stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes until the carrots are cooked but still have a slight bite to them.
6.  Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.  Serve.


Woohoo, i'm back on the blogging horse!  Here's a few pics of the dishes that I had planned to blog about over the last 3 months but never got a chance!  Hopefully it won't be as long until my next post, fingers crossed!

FoodandFrets

Surf n Turf!
Turkey and Ham Pie (Christmas leftovers!)
Roast Loin of Pork with Focaccia
Butter Chicken



No comments:

Post a Comment